2.17.2013

The eggs might not show it but each eggs has a different history

This weeks’ blog shows very well that I am a bilancia: always difficult to make decisions because every decision has it’s pro’s and its con’s. Forgive me for being so personal this time.

The battery cages were already a topic of a post last year. But I think it needs more attention and therefore allowed myself to continue on the topic.

Despite the new European rules - which were activated already in January 2012 - there are still are lot of farmers which keep their egg laying chickens in cages which are way too small. Action is needed to make sure that these cages are history by tomorrow.

I am sorry to tell but it seems to be again the obvious countries that are ignoring the rules made in Brussels. As an egg eater in Italy coming from the Netherlands I can clearly see a difference between the two countries. Not only in the shelves with the eggs, but also in the biscuits, the mayonnaise, etc. While in Holland I did see signs saying ‘free range eggs used’ everywhere and it is easy to find two or three brands of type 1 or 0 eggs* in Italy I have to visit two or more supermarkets here to come to the same point.

In May 2012 this Dutch tv program already did some research on the situation of the chickens in Europe. And – although we couldn’t see it always with our own eyes – the fact that we didn’t see it said enough: there are too many places in which the chickens still live in spaces which are smaller than allowed by the regulations. And we consumers apparently don’t really care. We buy them without paying attention.

I must be honest enough to tell you that I do hardly check egg containing products in the supermarkets on the origin of the egg. I do not do this for two reasons. The first one is because I am usually too lazy and/or too much in a hurry. The second reason is because it is not always easy to know whether a produce contains eggs and if it contains eggs, how can we find whether they are ‘good’ or ‘bad’ ones?
I am happy to find the products which put my attention to the fact that they have used free range eggs. 

But then there is another problem. These products are not made in Italy but come from my home country. And that means that they have travelled a lot before I could eat them and –while I am happy for the chicken - I think that is not good is terms of impact on the environment.

I would love to keep my own chicken if I had a garden and neighbors which would understand my considerations to have some hens chatting all day. And then I would also love to find the time and the knowledge to make all the egg containing products myself. But this is not very realistic to happen any day soon. So this is not a solution. The only thing I can hope for is that the chickens farmers find a way to implicate the rules soon and the egg processing industries stops using the ‘illegal’ eggs now. The I keep on working on the realization of my dreams too.

* The eggs are numbered from 3 to 0 explaining the conditions under which the laying hens lived. See more on my facebook page