1.19.2014

It all seems very luxurous, but by using fresh and local products the cook created a delicous but economic lunch
Last week I told you about the difficulties I sometimes have when deciding what product to buy in the supermarket. A lack of transparency and confusing information might does not make it easier to choose the right product. This week I will deal with another question: the restaurant.

Some people just go out of their homes and enter a place at the moment they get hungry. For them it does not really matter where they end up, as long as the prices and looks of the location suit them. Others cannot go out without their smartphone, acting like the crystal ball giving an answer to all your questions. In case a smartphone lacks, a preparative internet search might offer the same results: finding the best restaurant available for a certain price and quality.

I can be a bit of both. Sometimes I simply trust my intuition and hop in a place that looks good and offers a menu for a price that seems worth the quality of the products and service offered. But often, especially after some negative experiences, I really want to be sure that I am going to spend my money well and then a visit to a restaurant is preceded by a long internet search. Sometimes successful, sometimes not.

You would expect that in Italy it is easy to find a good restaurant. But nothing is more true than that, especially not in the more touristic locations, which aren’t always avoidable. The general rule is the simpler a place looks, the busier it is and so the food is good. But these rules have many exceptions: it might be cheap food with a similar quality, it might be very salty (to compensate for the missing flavours), it might be expensive food with a cheap quality, etc. So attention is needed even here.

During the last months I had some reasons to go out for lunch or dinner. Most times I was prepared and decided up front where to go or brought a list of good options based on the opinions expressed on the internet. Visiting sites that host reviews of restaurants and the like might be useful but it can also be really confusing. If after five positive reviews someone is negative about something that is important for me, I might decide not to go there. Poor man who owns the restaurant, because this is only based on a single impression by someone I don’t even know.

I unfortunately (?) have found out that the price isn’t always a good indicator for the quality of the food. Some weeks ago I enjoyed a very good three course lunch menu including wine, water and coffee paying only 10 euros a person! It was an incredible but positive surprise after eating such a delicious lunch made with love, and local, seasonal products. While actually it is just this simplicity that makes it cheap: a small choice of dishes (2 starters, 2 mains) and the use of products that are from close by and in abundance. No waste, no transport costs and fresh quality. But at the same time it might happen that you spend twice as much for a much less convincing experience. And that is where I get upset.

In my opinion, someone who decides to run a restaurant or works as a chef should only want one thing: give his guests a good meal. He has off course the right to make some money out of it, but he should not do that on the expenses of the costumer. Personally, I rather pay fifteen euros for a good quality lunch than ten euros for something that gets its flavour from the salt added. 

However, the choices I am making will remain difficult. Each day again I learn from the consequences of the decisions I made. Maybe someday it will be easy, maybe not.