5.09.2013


Who can resist this beautiful, colorful tajine filled with only vegetables, potatoes, chick peas and dried fruits
The article reminded me of the fact that I once told myself that I needed to find a good balance between adding meat to my daily meals at some days while leaving it out the others. I had become so used to this habit that I wasn’t sure anymore how strict I followed it.

In Italy they love their food traditions. Even now in these days many ‘intruders’  (successfully) compete with the local cooks, the Italians will never forget about their roots. And their roots are the (poor) farmers kitchen where everything which is available is eaten. Also meat.

But traditions are to develop and slowly change to become new traditions. It seems now that one of them is about to develop: the vegetarian kitchen. Italians which decide to leave the meat a cow (or a chicken or a pig,….) and fully go for the vegetables. Which are diverse, tasteful and locally available thanks to the countries beautiful climate.   

The reason or the Italians to eat only vegetables are diverse and don’t seem to have anything to do with the current economic crisis. It is explained as ‘the people want to live a more healthy lifestyle’ full of sport, green holidays, attention for the environment and respect for the animals on this planet’. A new generation of Italians has traveled the world (or at least Europe) and took inspiration and actions from what they have seen going on there.

Last weekend I’ve again learned that I am a Dutch girl, grown up in a specific culture where not only the traditions but also the future plays an important role in my choices. Making dishes without meat is a normal for me as brushing my teeth twice a day. But also I’ve learned that my meat consumption isn’t as low as I might want too. Since more than once a week I take a sandwich with meat. And even when it is nothing compared to a 150gram whatever on the dinner table, it also is meat which also needs to grow, be slaughtered and transported before it finally ends up on the bakers bread.

It was a perfect weekend, relaxed and critical. To repeat…..