1.20.2013



‘They’ want to bring farmers closer to their clients. The supply needs to get closer to the demands. Interesting. I’ve already talked about milk farmers going from door to door, wrote about open farm days and many posts named the words urbanfarming. But this isn’t all of it.

To create a more intense relation between consumer and the produce they eat you can undertake different actions. Some of them are passive and really easy to execute: put a picture of the farmers’ family on a jar of milk underlined with a romantic text ‘written by the farmer himself’ and the consumer will immediately feel that he knows where his milk comes from. Or – another relatively option – is to shoot a tv commercial in ‘a sunny gold colored grain field where healthy and strong man and woman working hard to get the cereals for our breakfast or bread’. Don’t you want to buy it? 

It might become more difficult if you like the consumer and producer to actually meet. Most of the produce process are not as romantic as the consumers like to think or are told. So it becomes a delicate thing and the organization of the event needs to think carefully who to introduce and who not. Besides that it asks an effort from the consumer. Are they curious enough to enter the dirty and smelly yard of the farmer?

Farmers markets seem to be popular these days but also here you can wonder whether you would really meet the farmer? Most of the time he hasn’t time to sell his own produce and asks someone to represent him. Not speaking any bad of the knowledge on products of that person.

More modern and very convenient for the hard-worker-with-a-full-agenda might be the internet shopping. You go online, check in on the website of your local farmer or fresh food supplier, chose the products you need that week and fill your basket. The only thing you then have to do is wait until the doorbell rings. Easy as it is. But not very a moment in which you really encounter he who produces your food.

Although I don’t sound really convinced on it, I decided to try it. A group of young people created a nice website which allows you to order different baskets filled with vegetables and/or fruits. You get local produce, fresh from the field right on your doorstep. Recipes included. I do feel good about it. It gives me the feeling that I support a local farmer, that I do reduce transport emissions and I have the idea to get the produce which are in fact from the season. Yummy. And maybe, when the weather starts to get a little better, I give it a try. I will go and find ‘my farmer’ and tell him what I think of my produce.  I’ll let you know when the time is there.